Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Humble Abode


For the past 6 years, I have lived in 6 different spots.  There was Sunset Terrace, Rieber, and then the 60-girl Alpha Phi House, followed by (my favorite) 10951 Roebling, Fudan International Dorms, and now my current home: Dalian University of Technology (DUT) International Dorms.  Each place had its unique charm and characteristics that I liked and disliked.  However, I must say that the DUT Dorm is the most interesting place I have lived in so far.

My very first step into the dorm caught me by surprise.  In traditional dorms, the front door leads to the main room, where you can get acquainted with the residents and relax.  However in this dorm, the front door leads to the sink.  This is good if the first thing you need to do when you get home is wash your hands.
Peekaboo!
From there, you have two options: turn left or right.  To the right is the main bedroom with the 2 sets of furniture.  It's a comfortable sized room for one person so I'm quite happy with it.
My Side of the Room
Meow.  This was left by the previous
resident.  I immediately took it off.  
Yes, there is a GRE prep book on the shelf.  
And to the left, we have the bathroom.  It very much resembles one in a hostel where there is one room with both the shower and toilet inside.  I wasn't too thrilled at first but I've grown to like this set-up.  It makes getting out of the shower really easy because you don't get that cold draft when you usually get out of a normal shower.   It's nice, huh?


Sadly, my luxurious room is not equipped with a kitchen but I luckily made a really great friend, Marianna, who has her own apartment so I kind of have 2 homes now.  I go there every night for dinner and we make delicious, home-cooked meals at her apartment (Thanks Nana!).  Unlike my Fudan room, this accommodation does not have an AC unit in which I can randomly turn on the air or heat.  Instead it has central heating that comes from water running through pipes along the wall.  The main office sets the temperature and when the heat turns on and off.  Not the most convenient but at least it's keeping me warm since the weather is getting chilly.  Now that you've seen my lovely dorm, the invitation is still open if you want to come visit!

So much to update you on,
Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment