Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to Wonderful Family & Friends

This Thanksgiving, all the Americans from DUT (around 10, not many!) celebrated our Thanksgiving together by going the Swish Hotel for an all-you-can-eat buffet.  I would like to preface this by saying it was the best meal I've had since I've been in China.  There were the staples: turkey, baked ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing... I'm drooling just recounting this meal.  I also indulged in some other non-traditional items: sushi, fajitas, and abalone... all delicious and I say, great for anytime of the year.

Halfway through the meal, we went around the table saying what we were thankful for at this moment. I immediately thought of family and friends at home.  I also thought about this unique opportunity that allowed me to postpone work and live the simple life of a student.  I'm thankful for the humbling experiences that immediately snap things back into perspective.  Living in China is a constant reminder of how lucky we are to have the opportunities to travel or excel in work and life.  Many Chinese people I come across express the desire to travel or work in another country but do not have the opportunities or funds to do so.
A very Christmas-y Thanksgiving!
And then last night, I was invited to my American friend's parent's house for another Thanksgiving celebration.  Who knew there would be so many ways to celebrate Thanksgiving in Dalian?!  It was an intimate dinner and I felt lucky to attend this warm celebration (and eat another great meal!).  It reminded me again that the true essence of Thanksgiving is to share and enjoy quality time with your loved ones.  Nothing is more special or irreplaceable.

Happy Thanksgiving again! I hope everyone had a wonderful, belly-filling Thanksgiving and lots of leftovers to indulge in.

Thankful,
Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment