Friday, December 31, 2010

A Toast to 2010

New Year's is already tomorrow and I'm looking forward to another great year; one that is hopefully full of risk-taking, maturing, laughter, happiness.  I hope for memories that I can be proud that I experienced.  And, I am grateful to have another year to look back upon.  It's been a memorable 365 days filled with many "firsts".  This was my first year to live abroad, away from the warm comforts of family and language fluency.  A new lifestyle.  I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and dealt with unknown, often times uncomfortable situations.  And looking back, I am happy that I did (although not so much at the time.)   I ushered the last New Year in the warm, tropical Philippines and will celebrate this New Year in the snow-blanketed Dalian.

As I look back on this year, I get nostalgic thinking about all the unexpected events that happened.  Living in Shanghai was a first for me and everything associated with that is a breath of fresh air.  During last year's winter vacation, I went backpacking for the first time and experienced possibly the best time of my life.  I bathed in the Thailand sunshine and absorbed everything tropical and cultural around me.  I saw the ancient Angkor Wat along with a dozen other awe-inspiring monuments.  I viewed life a little differently at this time, carrying everything I needed on my back.  That July, I left China very satisfied with my time abroad and hoping for another opportunity to visit.  This wish came more quickly than expected as I unexpectedly got an offer to keep studying in China.   After much deliberation, I accepted the scholarship and moved back, now to northern China.  And I am so happy I did because it gave me another chance to grow and enjoy the simplicity of the student life.  This is a time to devote myself to my interests and take care of myself.  A time for accelerated growth and maturing.  I hope to experience many more of these opportunities in my lifetime.  Although I do not know everything about this life we live in, I have learned a lot that only self reflection can teach you.  I bid adieu to 2010 with great satisfaction and look forward to starting this new year with a bang.

I hope everyone is having an equally insightful and/or wonderful December 31st.  It's hard to believe that 2010 is already over!! Time really does go too quickly.  I would like to wish everyone a festive, happy, safe transition into 2011.

Cheers to 2010!
Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment