Monday, December 27, 2010

圣诞快乐 Merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas and an early Happy New Years to all my wonderful family and friends at home.  I hope that everyone is having a wonderful holiday season so far and enjoying the last few days of 2010.  Hard to believe that I've been here for 4 months already and 2011 is just around the corner...

This Christmas holiday, I had plans in both Shanghai and Dalian so this past week was a bit of a whirl-wind.  I went down to Shanghai during the week to visit my childhood friend, Heather, for the holiday break.  Her family was spending Christmas in China and I was really excited to hang out with her, especially in this city.  I looove visiting Shanghai for A) the shopping,  B) the abundance of delicious, Western food, and C) the fun, bargain-happy shopping.  I'm not a big shopper but when in China, I really can't resist :). It's always a challenge to see how cheap you can buy something.  Heather and I also indulged in a little bit of photo-booth happiness which is proudly put on display here.

We went a little overboard with the hearts and flowers. 
After 3 days in Shanghai, I flew back to Dalian to watch DUT's annual Christmas show and go to Marianna's Christmas Eve party.  At the party, we splurged on Betty Crocker muffin mixes, salt & vinegar chips, pudding cups, and Bailey's liquer to toast the holiday.  The night was all about enjoying each others' company while playing Apples-to-Apples, watching holiday movies, and holding a white-elephant gift exchange.  I'd like to note that white-elephant exchanges are so much more fun in China.  China is the BEST place to find these goodies and our gift exchange did not disappoint.  There was a fuzzy, bunny beanie (on its way to becoming a big fashion trend), a panda seat cover, a poop-shaped mug, a seashell/christmas light embellished picture frame, a Tamagachi (flashback to 3rd grade!) and a plastic duck that could lay eggs to name a few.  I left with a pair of monster-adorned Chinese boxers.  All rich finds in our eyes.  

The opening act of the Christmas Show

Merry Christmas from Dalian!!!
On Christmas day, I traded in the blueberry muffin for some delicious, steaming hot pot: the ultimate winter meal.  There were thin slices of lamb, spinach, fresh noodles, quail eggs, tofu skin, sliced potatoes, all types of mushrooms, and shrimp balls.  This was all accompanied with multiple, ice-cold beers.  Hot pot is, without a doubt, my favorite Chinese meal and was the perfect way to celebrate this holiday.  Or any day of the year that is.

Christmas dinner with my China Family :)
Masami, Marianna, me, and YS looking like a pimp
Presents and cards were given and received and I was more than satisfied with the new gifts.  Hello new humidifier!  My Chinese friend sent a thoughtful, slightly perplexing Christmas message that I enjoyed.  It goes as follows: 

Merry christmas!  Though the atmosphere here is different, for 
almost no one believe god here, but still enjoy your time, maybe it 
is a good time to think about the past and coming days.  

Dean, who is excited this day

Thank you Dean and everyone who sent warm Christmas wishes to me! I really appreciate it!

Excited about new presents and ready to start studying for finals,
Jac



  

2 comments:

  1. Cute post Jacqueline! I love the Christmas morning pic. We're all so happy with our gifts haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too; everyone looks so cute with their glasses and presents. Happy times :)

    ReplyDelete