Monday, June 27, 2011

Trip of the Month: Dan Dong 丹东

This past weekend I decided to hop out of Dalian and visit one of the nearby cities: Dandong.  Dandong is very famous for it's location right next to the North Korean border.  The Ya Lu (鸭绿)River borders the two countries and has played an important role in history and with China/ N. Korea relations.  I found the Dandong to be rather charming and I enjoyed walking along the river and taking in the constant breeze.  Like Dalian, the town is sprinkled with all sorts of random statues which make for interesting pictures and conversation pieces.  In addition to neighboring North Korea, it also has the eastern end of the Great Wall of China located on Hu Shan (Tiger Mountain).  Dandong was once colonized by the Japanese in 1894 during the first Sino-Japanese War but now holds great potential in becoming a major trading center with its strategic location.

Fair Maidens Releasing Doves
We Love Peace
(There were peace banners all over the city)

Saturday morning, I bought a 90 RMB bus ticket to Dandong which took roughly 4 hours.  It was a rather pleasant drive as we went through the green countryside.  When I arrived, I immediately checked into my hotel and ventured over the river banks to check out Dandong's most famous landmark: Ya Lu Bridge.  This bridge connects Dandong to North Korea and is one of the very few ways to enter the latter.  Pedestrians are not allowed to cross.  On the bank, I took a boat ride that took passengers close to the North Korean side and allowed for a more intimate view.  There I discovered women and young children playing on the banks of the river.  Some women were washing their hair, others were washing clothes, and a few were rinsing vegetables.  On the side, a young man drew water with two buckets while soldiers walked the border.  It was fascinating to see them and the types of houses they lived in.


During the ride, I noticed the economic disparity portrayed on the two coastlines.  To the right, Dandong was filled with endless skyscrapers and buildings.  To the left, only small 2-story houses were seen.



While walking through the city, I indulged in some touristy-fun and took Korean pictures by the river.  I was starving by the time dinner rolled around so I had a delicious, Korean BBQ and cold noodle dinner for 38 RMB.  The second day, I was really excited to visit the Great Wall.  I heard it's just like it's famous counterpart in Beijing minus the enormous hordes of tourists.  Unfortunately, I woke up the next day to gray, continuous rain.  The Great Wall was out of the question.  Instead I checked out the "War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea" Museum.  This refers to the Korean War when the "US imperialists drew the flames of war" despite warnings from the Chinese government.  Although this museum was filled to the brim with the tourists (they all had the same ideas as me and skipped the Great Wall), it was interesting to read from the Chinese point of view.  I left the museum feeling that the information wasn't portrayed fairly.   Afterwards, I aimlessly roamed the streets until I called a cab to drop me back off at the bus station.  Four hours later, I arrived back to find that an even larger rainstorm had hit Dalian.  The streets were completely flooded and everything was shrouded in fog.  I came home exhausted but happy with this solo, little excursion.  I wish I could've visited the Wall but I guess I'll just have to visit Beijing to accomplish this.

If I lived in Korea hundreds of years ago, I'd look like this.
Ya Lu Bridge at Night


Day 2 and the streets are flooded,
Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment