Friday, April 15, 2011

A Much-Needed Update

Hey Everybody!

I hope this message finds everyone well. I just want to apologize for this quite long hiatus from blogging as my VPN was experiencing difficulties again.  Right now, I'm hitting the halfway point of my spring semester at Dalian University of Technology (aka midterms are right around the corner). There have been a lot of changes from last semester. The biggest is that I decided to do a homestay program and live with a Chinese family.

My Chinese family includes "ah yee," "shu shu," and "tong wu." These all translate to Chinese auntie, uncle, and a roommate who is from Russia! It's an interesting experience to say the least... I have my meals there which gives me more opportunities to talk and interact with them. It was a surprisingly easy transition into living with them. They've had a lot of experience with foreign students so I (thankfully) don't have a curfew. I've unfortunately woken them up at late hours before but am slowly getting adept at slamming the door enough to close it, but not loud enough to wake them up. It's an art I tell you. They also give me plenty of space and are not overbearing, something that many foreign students find with their homestay families. One bad note though is that the area I live in constantly, and unexpectedly, shuts off the water so I often find myself washing my face out of a basin of reserved water. Washing up can become very interesting. So can the eating. For those who have never been to China or eaten Chinese style food, it's custom to eat family style in which people can freely pick and choose what they want. In China, there is NO concept of a serving spoon so food is prodded and picked at by all sorts of chopsticks. It's a little unappetizing to eat like this with the family but I've gotten used to it. I can't necessarily fight this (nor win) so I've just adapted to it. Chinese people also aren't the most graceful eaters and the more noise you make while eating, the better. As previously mentioned, this is also something I've gotten used to.

My Chinese Auntie and 19-year-old Russian roommate

Dinner! Includes dumplings, shrimp, and veggie stir fry.



This semester is flying by! It feels like last week that I just ended my wonderful trip in Malaysia. Check FB for Malaysia pictures :). There are many things coming up this term. In 2 weeks, I'm flying back home and then to the Dominican Republic to attend my wonderful cousin's wedding. Sun-filled good times ahead! Also, I plan on taking a Chinese proficiency test called the HSK in June. It's like the SAT (not as hard) but there is listening, grammar, and reading comprehension. Preparation will unfortunately have to start right after the Dominican Republic. And before I know it, I will be flying home and hopefully having some sort of gathering when I can see everyone again :). Hope everyone is enjoying the transition into spring!! And happy weekend to all.

Frantically finishing writing hw before going to an American restaurant!!!
Jac

No comments:

Post a Comment